Ten Ways to Love: Pray without Ceasing


I know I don't stand alone when it comes to wishing for more hours in the day, or in finding that the hours I do have feel packed with too much.  I have to work at balancing the needs with the unknowns and the scheduled appointments with the emergencies.  Choosing activities to add to the schedule makes me cringe in apprehension, not wanting to split one more hour into more pieces, not wanting to divide another minute to race here or there for this or that.

Not easy, especially when I try to go it alone.

To pray without ceasing, the third in the lessons on "Ten Ways to Love", might sound like one more thing to add to the ever-growing list of responsibilities.  You can try to jot  iton your list of things to do, toss a prayer heavenward and check it off the list.  However, the "without ceasing" part nags at a person.  I know it taps me on the shoulder often, and finally, I am beginning to learn to bow to it, even welcome it.  As Paul writes in Colossians 1:9 --

"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives ..."

Interesting.  Thought-provoking.  We have not stopped praying for you.  We continually ask.  Without ceasing.


When I make prayer for my husband, my children, my family and my friends a priority, I find it easier to do each time and I find a great deal of fulfillment from it -- I have done something for each person, putting each in front of God in praise and prayer. I have blessed each one in a special way.

God has shown me the importance of keeping this connection with Him a thousand times.  He has allotted spare time to me when I have given him his time.  The more I pray, the more time I seem to have and the better the day goes.  Don't misunderstand me -- the feeling of extra time in the day is not a byproduct of prayer for everyone, but it does seem to feel that way for me. But, to pray without ceasing? 

To pray without ceasing does not mean getting down on your knees and spending hours at the Throne of Grace.  It does not mean driving to church to kneel at the altar daily.  It does mean sacrifice, mainly in thought and discipline.  Breathe a prayer of thankfulness for your husband.  Whisper a prayer of gratitude for your children arriving safely home from school and for the blessing of food and shelter.  Think a prayer asking forgiveness when you've nearly missed another car in traffic while distracted with other thoughts.  Speak a prayer of  peace when you worry about how to make ends meet in these trying economic times.  Shout a prayer of joy when you succeed in navigating around an argument and end the day in agreement with your husband.  Look at the world around you and silently pray for each person you see who makes you feel grateful, feel sorry, feel encouraged, feel honored, feel happy, feel sorrow, feel pity ... feel!

In I Thessalonians 5:13-18, Paul writes to the church at Thessalonica a "to do" list, noting important aspects of walking the faith path of a follower of Christ so that everyone could live toward a common goal and work toward furthering the Kingdom of God:

Live in peace with one another.  We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Put yourself in these verses, and consider those around you who may be faint of heart, weak, and in need of your patience.  Pray for a spirit of kindness and mercy, so that you will not seek to lash out when someone else acts abrasively.  Pray that you may seek good for everyone.  Pray to God and let him hear your rejoicing throughout the day, as you practice praying without ceasing.

Remember, that when you live an active prayer life, you connect to the Father more often and more fully.  You start small, remembering to pray for the new day and its blessings and challenges as you make your way to the coffee pot in the morning.  Pray your children and husband off to school and work.  Begin to think about prayer, and offer one as you begin each new task.  Give thanks when you have completed one.  Another idea is to realize that God puts people in our thoughts for reasons -- when a person crosses your mind, pray for that person, though you may not know his need.  God does!

I find myself with days that I skip praying and I feel something missing.  I have surrounded myself with busyness, rather than with the peace that comes in prayer.  When I tune myself to our Creator, I feel more purposeful and effective.  And still, I have to practice and remind myself. 

Let me know how you do!




Check out (or revisit) the other parts of this series:








No comments:

Post a Comment