I Got the Music in Me -- Get in the Groove!

Let's talk Christian music.  But first, I do not have any affiliation the radio stations I mention here.  Call me a devoted listener for all the right reasons, and that's it.  No pay-offs, no sponsors, no nothing.  Just deep thanks that they exist!

I'm a KLOVE listener.  I press the button on my kitchen radio as the kids get ready for school and leave it playing all day.  It fills my mind, it guides my thoughts.  It provides a positive alternative, and no doubt, that's the truth. No junk and no advertising.  Admittedly, sometimes I disagree with a DJ's perspective or a caller's conclusions on faith or biblical understanding, but that happens in any media and it's up to me to decide what to take away from the experience.  I take away so much good from my radio station.  I recommend it to anyone who wants a positive influence in an enjoyable format, sans Bible beating and fanaticism, and nothing preachy.  It's not "feel-good" fake faith, either.  Perfect mix.

KLOVE Radio, or Air1 Radio (for a little "harder" rock and alternative music styles) give me a direction to go, and they sometimes stop me in my tracks on a point I should revisit or turn to on my faith path.  They play music that not only motivates, but encourages (part of their tag line ... Positive, Encouraging ...).

The reality of music is this:  what we hear we internalize.  Music, more than any other medium, gets to our hearts, fills our minds, and creates a memory that lasts a lifetime.  Our lives have soundtracks, from nursery rhymes set to music and Sunday School songs learned in toddlerhood to the Top 40 of our teen years and the musical genres that wind through every event on the cords of memory.

When I listen to the God-honoring songs and discussions on the radio, I feel uplifted.  I don't feel that I'm gasping for breath under the cares of the world, or listening for what the world says might fall short in my life based on a love song or on a "you done me wrong" song. The songs I hear every day won't induce melancholy or bring up a hurtful or sad memory.  The music I hear will weave into the fabric of all of my roles in life, punctuating experiences and emphasizing moments.

I invite you to try on KLOVE Radio or Air1 Radio for size.  Anyone can listen to the online station or you can look up the location on the dial in your area, by zip code on the website

If you're new to Christian music, you may not know the lyrics, never heard of the artists and everything will sound foreign to you, but possibly a bit interesting.  Definitely different. What do you expect when you hear the term "Christian music", anyway?   If you have preconceived ideas of Bible-beating rhythms, this music won't fit them,  and no one -- absolutely no one -- sings "Kumbayah."

When the words guide you to positive thought, encouraging direction of mind and spirit, and leave you wanting to get involved with people, learn more about faith, find out what God has in mind for you, you may want to keep listening.  Occasionally, people call in from anywhere across the United States and tell how the station and its output helped change their lives, and that they want to give back, to help others find what they found.  Faith.  God.  Hope.

Give it a try.  Not for me.  For you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment