Why I Like My Husband

Inside jokes between husbands and wives make for some hilarious moments, but my favorite one doesn't make me laugh, it makes me feel richly blessed.  It connects me to my husband in a way that feel unique.  It inspired us twenty-two years ago, and still inspires us today.

Before we married, my husband and I shared "I love you" back and forth the way we express "thank you," now. Often, and for just about everything.  One day, as we shared some quiet time, doing nothing but feeling the rapture of togetherness, I broke the silence with,

I like you and I know why.I like you because you are a good person to like.I like you because when I tell you something special, you know it’s specialAnd you remember it a long, long time.You say, Remember when you told me something specialAnd both of us remember When I think something is importantyou think it’s important tooWe have good ideasWhen I say something funny, you laughI think I’m funny and you think I’m funny tooHah-hah! I like you because you know where I’m ticklishAnd you don’t tickle me there except just a little tiny bit sometimesBut if you do, then I know where to tickle you tooYou know how to be sillyThat’s why I like youBoy are you ever sillyI never met anybody sillier than me till I met youI like you because you know when it’s time to stop being sillyMaybe day after tomorrowMaybe neverToo late, it’s a quarter past silly That’s because you really like meYou really like me, don’t youAnd I really like you backAnd you like me back and I like you backAnd that’s the way we keep on going every day If you go away, then I go away tooor if I stay home, you send me a postcardYou don’t just say Well see you around sometime, byeI like you a lot because of thatIf I go away, I send you a postcard tooAnd I like you because if we go away togetherAnd if we are in Grand Central StationAnd if I get lostThen you are the one that is yelling for me And I like you because when I am feeling sadYou don’t always cheer me up right awaySometimes it is better to be sadYou can’t stand the others being so googly and gaggly every single minuteYou want to think about thingsIt takes time I like you because if I am mad at youThen you are mad at me tooIt’s awful when the other person isn’tThey are so nice and hoo-hoo you could just about punch them in the nose I like you because if I think I am going to throw upthen you are really sorryYou don’t just pretend you are busy looking at the birdies and all thatYou say, maybe it was something you ateYou say, the same thing happened to me one timeAnd the same thing did If you find two four-leaf clovers, you give me oneIf I find four, I give you twoIf we only find three, we keep on lookingSometimes we have good luck, and sometimes we don’t I like you because I don’t know why butEverything that happens is nicer with youI can’t remember when I didn’t like youIt must have been lonesome then I like you because because becauseI forget why I like you but I doSo many reasonsOn the 4th of July I like you because it’s the 4th of JulyOn the fifth of July, I like you tooIf you and I had some drums and some horns and some horsesIf we had some hats and some flags and some fire enginesWe could be a HOLIDAYWe could be a CELEBRATIONWe could be a WHOLE PARADESee what I mean? Even if it was the 999th of JulyEven if it was AugustEven if it was way down at the bottom of NovemberEven if it was no place particular in JanuaryI would go on choosing youAnd you would go on choosing meOver and over againThat’s how it would happen every timeI don’t know whyI guess I don’t know why I really like youWhy do I like youI guess I just like youI guess I just like you because I like you. - “I Like You” by Sandol Stoddard Warburg
He bought me this book for Christmas.  It has all sorts of interesting
"like" reasons in it ... and they hit the spot!
"I like you."

The man I would soon marry turned abruptly toward me and insisted, "Yeah, well, I love you."

I smiled into laughter, which caught him even more off guard.  He thought he had one-upped me!  That laughter led to one of the most interesting discussions we have ever had.  We talked about the difference between "like" and "love" in our relationship.  In a marriage relationship.  And I wanted to impress upon him -- and upon you -- the difference.

The Bible commands us to love one another. this is the brotherly love we share as humans. Friendship quality love.  Phileo, in the Greek. We are to love everyone, and show that love in treating others well.  Obviously, the kind of love we reserve for our spouses differs and it should differ greatly, in Greek it reads "eros", or romantic love, being a much more intimate brand of love, tended with great care.  Marriage is our ultimate relationship, next to God.  It requires more of us than any other relationship, for the lifetime of the couple.

Big.

Then, there's "like."

My like list is long and diverse.  Music - almost all genres.  Cake.  Kayaking.  Knitting.  Travel.  Sunrises.  Snow.  Hardwood floors.  Baking.  Rolling farmland.  Cutting grass.  And so forth and so on, all the way to "my husband."  He's a good egg.

God did not say we have to like everyone.  How can we like what everyone else does, how they act, what they believe, where they spend their time or how they respond to us?  Sometimes we have run-ins with people during which, no matter how hard we try and no matter how well our godly armor fits -- we falter and we fail.  God puts us on the same path as others sometimes, I think, because we need a lesson or two in getting along.  Smooth waters don't teach a person to sail, it's the roughness and storms that bring skill.  So it goes with people.

And so, "I like you," comes as a high compliment.  It goes to a different depth than love, as well as to a different place.  When I experience "like" I know it.  Only my husband has the level of "like" that labels him in my life.  When I bestowed a well-placed like on the man all those years ago, I, in effect, branded him as top of the heap in my box of earthly treasures. 

He hits the spot in my mind, heart and soul.  His idiosyncrasies intrigue me.  His sense of humor still surprises me in its scope and timing.  His Energizer Bunny ability to just keep going causes me to marvel.  He zigs to my zag, and weaves his way through the playground of moods I swing without seeming to mind.  He asks questions about faith, about women, about raising children, about cooking, and about me. He reaches for me in the night.  He doesn't mind if I don't have supper ready.  He can run electrical and plumbing lines whenever or wherever we need them.  He can do math -- the hard stuff.  He can't spell.  He knows I hate to be tickled, but loves how I react to it.  He asks me to do Google searches for him because I'm better at it.  He insists he hates cats but worries about the two we have as pets.  He has a gentle touch.  He doesn't like cream cheese but loves carrot cake (with cream cheese icing).

I like my husband. His list of attributes mean something important to me, complement my own, and make him "the one" for me.

Love runs separately.  It does not depend on likeability.  I could love my husband without his sense of humor.  I could love him even if he minded when my moods run high.  I could love him without his handyman abilities.

I love him by what I do for him.  That's how anyone loves her husband, by serving, by considering his preferences and his needs, and setting herself the goal of meeting them.  Love does.  Love acts.  Love puts itself out there for the good of the other, whereas "like" is relative.  Subjective. 

Get it?  Liking a husband requires a category all to itself.  The like I have for the man I married lies in him ... what he shows me on the surface and deeper than that.  Yet, take away any of those things and love still exists.

Like your husband.  Doing so expands your horizon in how you love him.  Liking him lets you love him better because it gives you more definitive categories with which to work.

What nifty things do you like about your husband?  How do his "like" points help you serve him better?  Love him well?


No comments:

Post a Comment