Tales of a Business Traveler's Wife


He sees the airport in each city, and gets to know which hotel offers more comfort and accessibility near those airports.  He has Gold status with Hertz.  He has perfectly polished hotel manners.  He has no trouble asking for assistance or for information.  He puts more miles on rental cars than he does his own vehicle.  He sleeps and wakes alone.  He often eats meals solo, one of the things he hates most.  He has excellent rapport with coworkers, with representatives of other businesses, and with those who work in positions of service in his travels.


When he arrives home, he doesn't want to make phone calls or negotiate any issues.  He wants peace.  He wants to feel respected.  He wants to feel that we missed him while he traveled.  He wants quiet company, and to have his family enjoy meals together.  He hopes for solace and not strife.  He wants a bit more perfection than children can muster, but doesn't expect it.  He wants to stay home and relax in his favorite chair.  He wants to share his experiences, but not have to revisit the work-oriented aspects of them. He wants to sleep in his own bed, snuggling with his wife.  He wants ... to ... just ... be.

I, his wife, love to travel.  I like a little chaos.  I don't mind some disagreement or argumentativeness in the name of debate; sharing ideas and sometimes having opposing thoughts.  I don't mind eating alone, even in a crowded restaurant, and would jump at the chance to travel most of the world, even if I had to explore alone.  And I have ... the exploring alone part, but not without him worrying every minute.  That, because the man I love has had to engage in the business aspect of the trip he has invited me to share with him.  He sits in the office, I ride the Metro.  I like road trips, with or without hotel reservations.  I don't like to ask for directions or for help.  I do well in posh hotels or in the Motel 6, either way.  I don't know many airports very well.

Our opposite tastes mesh, and we complement each other.  Just as God intended.

While I wait at home for this man to return from Seattle or St. Louis, from Detroit or Denver, or from a more rare overseas excursion, I pray often.   I pray for his protection, that his words be direct and win over those with whom he meets, that he represent truth and the right way.  I pray that temptation will not overtake him in any form.  I pray that he will arrive home safe and whole to his family, and I pray that we can pick right up where we left off, as if he hadn't ever left home. 

I hate that he travels, but not as much as he does.  Some days he'll say, "I'm too old for this."  I look at him, his perplexed expression, and know that he isn't too old, but that the travel has worn on him.  He wasn't meant for globe trotting, but he does what he has to do and does it well.  He makes a terrific example of gentlemanliness when he is out in the world.  He also leans toward crazy and quirky activities, acting the comedian or the ring master, depending on the situation.  He entertains his business companions, as well as promotes a positive work ethic.

At the end of the day, I pray some more.  Whether he has embarked on another trip, or sits beside me watching television, I thank God for his perseverance, persistence and patience in doing what he does not want to do.  I pray that I can have the self-control and patience he exhibits with people who rub him the wrong way.  And, I pray the reverse; that he can have patience with the everyday, after giving all his patience to others who expect it, but don't act as if they deserve it.  I pray thankful prayers that this man is mine, and that though I have to miss him immensely, we remain one, even at a distance.

I pray that his example, out there in the world, helps someone.  Many times, he has found help from others, and has had tremendous experiences to share or give or acknowledge his faith in a quiet way.  I appreciate his quiet ways most.  They speak louder than a sermon and more purposefully than a well-planned lesson.

I also pray that he could know these things about himself, that he could see how God has worked in his life more clearly, and that he could truly, without a doubt, believe that he is an heir of our Father in Heaven.  Work does not define him.  God does.

No comments:

Post a Comment