In Whom Do You Rest?



Ah, Friday. We have worked toward and made it to another weekend. Congratulations everyone!

 Now, it's time to relax and, I hope, to rest. After last weekend's meeting with whole-family illness and surgical recovery, my family wants nothing but normal. I pray for it.

The act of praying and idea of resting got me thinking of where folks find comfort, not just on the weekends, but every day. In whom do you rest?  As we go into this few days of unschedule-ness away from the cares of the everyday and of the world, where will our focus lie?

Chores.  That upstairs closet in need of cleaning that I keep bypassing.  Bible study with my mothers' group.  Reading.  Knitting.  Steam-cleaning the tile.  Purging the contents of my car's trunk.  Dishes.  Laundry.  Cooking.  Kids bickering.  Television.  Computer.  E-mail.

Lots of "good things", some unnecessary things, nothing of major importance.  But, did you see "Spend time with God," or "Devote some time to Christ" up there anywhere?  My Bible study time with the girls might take care of that, but it will not be my own personal time devoted to the Deity.  Some relaxing, restful things sit on my list, but not a time-out with the Father, giving my heart to him and letting him mold it for a while, while I have some down-time.

If you, like I do, turn inward and outward before you remember to look upward, we both need to recalibrate our workings and tune up to our Heavenly Father. I need to remember his strength and to follow his leading. He holds the only real rest I can find. When I pray with my whole self involved I feel his power surrounding me and filtering into my bones, pressing my physical being with a holy nudge of "remember me?"
I do better when I remember him.  I feel filled to overflowing when I remember him and then act on it, giving him my attention, my prayers, a bunch of praise, and some rambling thoughts (God doesn't need to ask me to retrace my ramblings, he can follow even the tightest turns, the cross-roads and the dead-ends in my thoughts).

Right now, think of the rest of this weekend.  By "rest", I mean the time you have to spend during the next two days before the world revs up and drags you along with it again.  Two-fifths of the week allow you to decompress, to redirect, to focus, to achieve your own goals, and to spend your time (mostly or partly) the way you'd like.

Try something with this "rest" time -- give it to God.  Don't give it as a bonanza of praise singing or marathon Bible reading.  Don't hand it to him as a one-time-only gift, or as a sacrifice.  Give it to him by letting him direct it.  Give him the rest of this weekend.

Pray with your heart -- take the time this afternoon, later tonight, or early tomorrow, but no longer than that.  Let your heart ramble with the Creator.  Tell him your hopes, your dilemmas, your woes, your fears, your delights, your joys and your secret dreams.  Ask him to give you direction in rest.  Allow him to guide you, and let yourself see where he wants to take you and what he wants to show you.

This weekend, let the Lord take care of the rest.  He created it, so let him handle it for you.  As for you, live, learn and grow in what he provides for you.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment