Words for the Weekend




  


It's that time of the week most of us wait for starting the previous Sunday night -- the weekend! It's here!  It's here!

In looking for something to provoke my thoughts and generate a positive focus for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I found this verse in the book of James, chapter one.  Verse 22 reads:

Do not merely listen to the word, 
and so deceive yourselves. 
Do what it says.

I attend church every week, and most Sunday mornings, the message from the pulpit speaks to me.  Some weeks, I think God has appointed the pastor to speak only to me.  As sure as I find myself listening and taking notes, as many scriptures as I list and as many thoughts as I underline for emphasis and review at a later time, I sometimes "merely listen."

Do not merely listen to the word.

This reminds me of the times I have spoken to my husband or one of my children with a very deep need to feel heard.  I can hear myself saying, "Just listen!"  I have something to say and want to know they have heard it.  

Yet, I really don't want for them to listen only.  I want action.  I don't want to have to repeat myself, I need to have a job done, I need assistance, I need to see some action!

In my Christian walk, I carry a heavy burden called a Guilty Conscience.  I do a lot of listening and a whole lot of appreciating of what I hear.  God's word, well-illustrated with purposeful anecdotes, supported and further illustrated with prophetic scriptural references in the Old Testament, and brought to my ears by someone who can put everything together just for my spiritual needs and guidance still gets by me at the beginning of the week.  

What was the message?  Why did I want to make sure to get a copy of it on CD this week?  What made me feel so energized or convicted or both?  

I want to, this week, listen to the word with intent to act.  I don't want to further the deception by tucking my notebook into my Bible cover, whisking off with a copy of the message on CD, and then heading for home without any idea how I plan to follow up on what I heard and felt moved to do.

This week, I have a plan.  

1.  Listen intently and take notes as usual, making sure to get the scripture references down before looking for them in the Bible ... I often forget the book, chapter and verse as I focus on the finding before the writing.
2.  Pick up a copy of the CD and attach it to the pages of the notes from the sermon (pack a clip for this).
3.  On Tuesday morning, listen again to the message on CD while reviewing the notes -- and make more if needed.  
4.  Decide on a plan of action based on what I learn.  Jot that plan at the end of the sermon notes and also on a Post-It.  
5.  Post the Post-It.  Make it obvious to myself, review it often and make it happen.

Seems simple, but making changes to my days takes intent focus.  It will take prayer and discipline to get this to work.  Like anything that has been worth the effort, it will take God's guidance, and I stand here ready to act.

Looking forward to the weekend,

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment