Who Are You, Really?

When it comes to focusing inward, I usually fail.  In a world full of soul-searchers, most of us don't get any farther than the first three layers of skin, describing ourselves in modest terms, probably most often, but in some places, giving a severe or harsh description of ourselves.

These ways of defining ourselves may lack quite a bit in accuracy.  I don't know my soul as well as the back of my hand.  I probably know it as well as I know my facial expressions, which I seldom see except for pictures and a few (a thankful few) videos.

Did you ever rely on a friend or family member to help define you?  The results of this kind of poll will surprise you, if not stun you.  Try it sometime.  You might get a good laugh, you might feel humbled, and you will probably feel very thankful for honest reviews.

Who Am I ?And then, there's God.  His view takes in the whole.  The inside-out view, and He doesn't have a whole lot to say about the outside, being made in His image and all.  He's not about vanity, but about hearts.  The inside counts more than anything else.  In a world that sees the surface, seeing the heart really matters.

So, ask God.  He's honest to divulge the information, faithful to support you in learning it and in making changes, and true to his word in how following him will turn out for you.  You can't miss.

Here's what he tells me.

1.  I have a lot of love to share, but I'm not big on demonstrating it to everyone because I second-guess myself and have fears of rejection.  Fear is not of God.  I need to cast Satan out and take action.
2.  My housekeeping abilities don't reflect my ability to offer hospitality.  In fact, offering hospitality will improve my housekeeping abilities.  More visitors = more tidying up, right?  Go figure.  Opening our home to others makes a way to open hearts to God.  Mightily important.
3.  I'm doing a better job at being married, by practice and prayer.  I need to be careful in how I perceive this and to not grow a holier than thou attitude in the face of others' struggles.  It's God's doing, and I can magnify His name or mine.
4.  I have unused or underused talents.  I keep them under wraps sometimes (fear of rejection thing), or use them sparingly.  This seems fair warning -- use what he has given me or possibly lose the abilities, which happens when we don't practice or exercise properly.
5.  I need to share faith in more ways and see the opportunities presented, then speak or act without hesitation.  This requires that I open my eyes to possibility, which requires paying attention very carefully to everyone around me.  Rather than drop money in a homeless person's hand, perhaps I find out how I can fulfill a bigger need?  When I hear someone speaking unsurely about faith, I join the conversation and open the Book?
6.  I squander my time.  I get 24 hours every day, the same as everyone else, and I used to pack them full, dawn to dusk and beyond.  Since giving up that harried and hurried life, I have leaned in the opposite direction.  I have some irons in the fire and need to get them out and use them.  You know -- strike while the iron is hot!
7.  I don't take the time to pray and study that I should.   I have about a half-dozen studies to use, and more than a few books to read and study, and I wait for "the right time," a phenomenon more easily recognized by the term "procrastination."  I procrastinate and God knows it.
9.   My goal for the New Year of praying with my husband every night has occurred twice.  It's mid-March.  0.66 times per month does not make an acceptable average.  Some nights, I feel the nudge and ignore it -- not wanting to interrupt my husband if he is falling asleep.  Better planning, woman (this means me).
10.   Give my children more patience as they enter the difficult ages that steal their own.  God gives me endless patience while I seem to have very little when I need it most.  Where do I put it?  Probably the same place I'm hiding my talents ... and both need to come out and make a show-stopping appearance.

Who are you?  Who do you think you are?  How do others see you?  How does God see you?

Worthy questions.  Study the answers and learn the repercussions of each.  Much depends on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment